One of the Amazing Island of the Philippines, let’s go to Cebu!
Cebu is one of the amazing and progressive province, located in the Central Visayas Region, and consist of a main island and 167 surrounding islands and islets. Metro Cebu being second largest metropolitan area in the Philippines after (Manila City), and Cebu City is the main center of commerce, trade, education, and industry in the Visayas Region. In a decade, it has transformed into a global hub for shipping, furniture making, tourism, business processing services and heavy industry.
Short History of Cebu
The name “Cebu”, comes from the old Cebuano word sibu or sibo (trade), a shortened form of sinibuayng hingpit (the place of trading). In 1521 Ferdinand Magellan, a Portuguese explorer began a period of Spanish exploration and colonization. Arriving in Cebu City, Rajah Humabon or the King of Cebu and his wife were given christian names and baptized as Carlos and Juana. The Santo Nino was presented to the native queen of cebu, as a symbol of peace and friendship between the spaniards and cebuano. For more info, just click the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cebu
Cebu City is rich in history and culture, they have a lots of amazing tourist spot, which you can visit anytime, here’s the top tourist spot:
- 1. Chapel Housing Magellan’s Cross
- It was believed that Ferdinand Magellan planted the wooden cross which mark the spot were some 800 natives were baptized into the Catholic faith. A casing made of tindalo wood serves as the cover of the original cross, which was gradually chipped away by the natives in the belief that it possessed miraculous power. The chapel housing is currently part of the Seal of Cebu City. This chapel housing is open to the public.
- 2. Sto. Nino Church
- After visiting in the Chapel housing of Magellans Cross, you can proceed to Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino or most populary known as Sto. Nino Church. The church is located right beside in the Magellans Cross. The image was a gift given by Ferdinand Magellan to the wife of Rajah Humabon.
- 3. Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral Museum
- The museum is formally known as the Ecclesiastical Museum of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cebu. The museum it look like an ordinary from the outside, but very impressive collection of religious artifacts and architecture from different parts of the region.
- 4. Cebu Taoist Temple
- Located in the posh subdivision of Beverly Hills in Lahug, Cebu City. This tourist spot is recommended to the people who like to experience the Taoism religion as the temple is home to various artifacts related to the religion. The Taoist Temple is also a place where you can make a wish and do a ritual to check if the that wish will come true.
So what are you waiting for, book now for you trip to Cebu. And experience the amazing and discover the wonders of the Queen City of the South. Cebu City is your perfect adventure.